Wednesday, October 17, 2012

May I Have Your Attention


I was just at the library with Emily Joy and came across a book, whose title perfectly wrapped up a train of thoughts I've been having the past few days.  The title of the book is "A perfectly kept house is the sign of a misspent life". I found it, ironically, in the home organization section, where I often go when I realize I stink at house keeping.   I have to say that book title just warmed my heart and not just because it made me feel better about my un-kept house.  Let me go back a little and say there have been shenanigans in my house.  She-nan-i-gans.  Now, I'm not totally opposed to the shenanigans of my children.  The fact that they test their boundaries and my patience is truly a sign of their brilliance and independence (right?).  But, my home has felt a little like the Thunder Dome lately, to the point that this weekend I had to wonder "WHAT is going on here".  I would like it to go down on my permanent record that I pondered this thought calmly, sitting in my chair with my scriptures on my lap and NOT slamming kitchen cupboards and punt kicking toys out of my kitchen while 2 of my little angels sat in time out (I think we all know what really went down).  Anyways, while pondering the aforementioned chaos it occurred to me how rarely my children have my full attention.  I have so much to do and so little time, so I am nearly always doing at least 2 things at once: Fixing dinner/working on homework; cleaning/returning calls; putting laundry away/putting kids to bed etc. etc.  and usually all the while I have one or more children talking to me.  I realized that I am usually so distracted doing My Stuff that I'm listening to my kids out of one ear, mmming and uh-huhing when appropriate.  I'm not really hearing them or seeing them.  And, being brilliant, my children have realized that if they pull the closet door completely off, or actually try to strangle a sibling, or say a naughty word they have my total undivided attention- immediately.  What if, when they started talking to me, I just stopped what I was doing and listened, not superficially, but deeply.  Would we finally accomplish that much singed about "Love At Home"  if they weren't fighting for full attention and sincere validation?  I'm seeing how distracted I am 90% of the time and realizing that not only is my distraction making my attention seem precious and in short supply, but I am missing the tiny details of of their lives.  So, here's to letting go of the list a little and not misspending my life.  I get one chance to raise these kids.  Please don't be appalled by the clutter when you come over. 

1 comment:

Sue Rasmussen said...

It took me quite a few years to throw away my "list" of things I thought I should be doing. I'm much happier without a list - I still had trouble juggling the things I did do with the mom job - but go for it!