This last week I have found my kids a little bit profound. Some lessons from the bottomless pool of munchkin wisdom:
- Courage: We took the girls skiing last Sat. and they amazed me. Joel has been teaching them this year and this was my first time seeing them in action. When I was learning to ski as a teenager there was a lot of lying in the snow and sobbing (OK there still is). These little girls just slapped their skis on, headed down the mountain and loved every bit of it. It did not occur to them to be afraid. Emily got on the ski lift even though she thought that you just had to jump off it 40 ft. in the air when it was time to get off. Admittedly, I also thought that the first time I went skiing.
- Faith: Mignon and Gary watched Brandon and Lincoln while we skiied. On our way back up their snowy road we encountered Mignon on her way down. While trying to back up to get out of her way the back of our car slipped and slid into a snowbank and we were a little bit stuck. Brandon was in Mignon's car and when he saw what happened he kept telling Mignon "Don't worry". After Joel got us un-stuck Brandon said "See Grandma, I used my powers to get them out". Brandon recently read "The Secret" and I think it's really paying off.
- Kindness: The other night I was trying to wrestle Linc & Brando into the tub after a long day. Felicity must have seen that crazy look in my eyes because she said "Mom, I'll bath these guys and get them in bed. Why don't you just relax and go watch Oprah".
- Friendship: Last week Felicity was railing on Brandon and he finally just said: "Felicity, I think that you forgot that I am your friend". Also, Sunday morning they decided to walk a mile in each other's shoes and trade identies for the morning. Brandon is in the pink nighty and Felcity is in the green shirt.
- Industry: Lincoln gets more done before 9 a.m. that even the army. He pulled
out every single plastic baggie in that drawer in less than a minute. You should see my house. It looks like it has been looted now that Linc is mobilized. Now, if only I could get him to use his powers for good . . .
- Humility: Last night I needed to go see the Stake President for my temple recommend interview. So, I hustled the kids through dinner, grabbed them (Joel had Young Mens) and ran out the door because we had to pick Emily up from gymnastics on the way. So, I rip into the parking lot of the Stake Center and turn around and look at my kids. All of their faces were smudged with dirt (they had played outside all afternoon), had traces of their dinner here and there, and Emily and Brandon were barefoot. We looked like some honkey tonk gypsies. (When I got home I looked in the mirror and saw that I had some of the sweet potatoes I was trying to get Linc to eat at dinner smeared across my forehead. I bet the Stake President loved that). So, we go into the hall to sit and wait our turn and the kids start going ballistic - you know - general kid shenanigans - running amuk, screaming like banshees, burping at full volume, jumping off the couches. There was a man waiting a head of me and he told me I could go ahead of him. I was embarrased because clearly my kids were driving him crazy. I found out that while I was in being interviewed this man had played red light green light with my kids and taught them some karate (he is a martial arts instructor). What I took as an act of desperation/exasperation on his part was actually an act of simple kindness. I thanked him and headed home, but I have to admit I was a little teary at this unexpected generosisty (either that or I had sweet potatoe in my eye). Bless that man and really, if you see me and my posse coming, run for it.
5 comments:
I just laughed my head off reading your blog...so funny! I LOVE the picture of Felicity and Brandon dressed as one another...classic.
Sunny, this is why you are meant to blog, you are hillarious! I laughed so hard at the picture of Brandon and Lissa. I have to admit, I couldn't figure out who they were at first glance, I had to zoom in and it was well worth it.
(sorry about the deleted comment)
I love these stories. All of the nieces and nephews are such characters. Our kids have big shoes to fill.
Oh... my... the kids. Don't you and Tyson have a similar cross-gender picture?
Post a Comment