A couple of weeks ago Joel and I lifted our post-Lincoln camping ban. Joel and I have a pretty low baby-pain threshold. About 7 years ago Joel and I spent a crazy night camping in the Wyoming wilds trying to comfort a screaming baby during a 14 hour torrential downpour. After that we formulated a simple camping equation: us + baby + camping = no to the way to the jose. We don't camp w/ infants. So now that Linc is getting a little bigger we decided to go bananas and take the kids to Moab. Our campground was what they call "primitive" - which means there is no running water or shelter and you go potty in a hole in the ground. Despite this, we had a great time. Kids love camping. They love the unscheduled days, the being filthy and the general running amok. They love going to bed with marshmallow goo all around their mouth from the smores they ate just before falling asleep. I think most of all they love having a dirt mustache the whole time, no matter how many times their mom wrestles them down, holds them in the patented mom headlock and wipes their face down. The kids loved the hikes we took them on. Brandon was all about climbing all over the rocks. He would say "Look, I will use my powers to get to the top of this rock" (he is really into the superhero thing right now). Emily and Felicity showed their Mills colors while we were hiking. Grandma and Grandpa Mills have a cousins camp out for all the grand kids every summer and usually take them on a nature hike and teach them about the flora and fauna and landscape as they go. So, having been taught well how to appreciate nature they each brought a little notebook with them everywhere we went and drew pictures and took notes about all of the wonders of nature they saw. It was so cute. And Linc loved riding in the baby backpack. I think he felt like a Rajah.
Joel also was able to finally go canyoneering, and he and my brother Tim got to rappel down Morning Glory Arch. This was Tim's first rappel and he rocked it. All I can say is, better him than me. I have been Joel's partner in a few of his adventures and invariably find myself sobbing on some ledge trying not to worry about certain death. See Tim in this picture - that is often me - only crying :)
Whenever Joel and I take our kids on a trip we always reflect on how worthwhile the whole trip was compared to the amount of work it took to get us there. We are always amazed at how much fun our kids have on a simple camping trip. We can't help but compare it to the trips we've taken to Disneyland. To go camping, I spend a day digging out gear, buying food and tossing old clothes into a duffel bag. To go to Disneyland, I spend weeks plotting brightly colored and coordinated outfits so my kids will be easy to spot in the park, planning schedules, lodging, transportation etc. To go camping we spend a couple of hundred dollars on food and gas. To go to Disneyland - well - let's just say a snow cone there costs about 10$. Camping our kids are in pretty good spirits, with the occasional meltdown due to marshmallow overdose and inadequate sleep. A day at Disneyland is a day peppered with tantrums triggered by sensory overload and waiting in endless lines. We have some great memories from our Disneyland vacations, but I have to say our camping memories are just as great and less frantic. Even though by the last day we could not even stand the smell of ourselves, there is a lot to be said for simplicity. No vacation spot anywhere, not even the illustrious Disney, could ever match the peace and wonder of sitting out under a night sky bursting with stars with people you love.
2 comments:
I'm completely jealous. I love Moab and don't think we are going to make it down there this year. Love the pictures.
Well said. You rock. Camping rocks. Family rocks more. ;0)
Post a Comment