Tuesday, June 16, 2009
The SuperCoolPerson Flu
Oh my. This week the women of the Mills family have succumbed to the Swine Flu. First, can I just say that I strongly object to the title "Swine". Hardly complementary. I think they should change the name to "SuperCoolPerson Flu" and describe it as a flu that can only be contracted if you are Super Cool. Those of us that have it might feel a lot better about getting it with that new and improved title. So, Em came down with it last Monday - I think she got it from school. I took her in to InstaCare Tues. night and they lowered the bomb: Influenza A with a 95% probability that it is N1H1 a.k.a. the Swine Flu. That moment in the generically decorated examination room was definitely not my finest. I think I stood there in a catatonic silence for a full minute before I gathered my composure and started ugly crying. Nice. The Dr. assured me Emily was not in mortal danger and that for healthy individuals this flu plays out pretty much like the average flu - no need for undue stress. And she was right. Em felt terrible for 3 days and was back to her sweet self. Felicity got it a couple of days later - same deal - 3 days of yuck then sweet again. I came down with it Saturday. I started to feel better last night and am feeling better every hour today, although there is no sweetness for me to return to. So I guess I'm back to my regular levels of crankiness. Joel has been holding down the fort, bless him. I know this flu has been very serious for a lot of people but I think we got a pretty mild version. The worst thing about it is that it is so contagious - it has been a huge stress trying to keep it contained. The doctor ordered a 7 day quarantine from the onset of symptoms, but we were out and about a couple of days before Em was diagnosed. I'm pretty sure we gave it to the Hales and who knows who else. I feel like Typhoid Mary. How do you properly apologize to someone for giving them a horrible illness. I think a vague "Oh . . . sorry about all that" and an awkward pat on the back ought to cover it. Aargh! So, we've all been home for the last 7 days under quarantine. My kids have watched the craziest amount of TV ever. I've always wondered at what point they would finally get sick of the TV if I just let them watch all they wanted. The answer is never. They are still watching it with full delight. But there are some good things about quarantine. I finally got stir crazy enough to tackle some projects that have been on hold for the last few years. Before I was hit I got the "corner of doom" in my room cleaned out (a corner in which I have been dumping projects and odds and ends for the last 6 months). I also got my gross pantry cleaned out, but that turned into a cleaning out and rearranging of most of the kitchen cabinets. This is not me tooting my own horn. This is me being amazed at what can happen if you are stuck at home. Things have been so chaotic here trying to get everyone well and eventually out of this house again. To top everything off Joel came down with the gout (a moment of silence for Chris Farley's legendary Lunchlady rendition). The gout is awful and painful. It has attacked his foot, which is all puffy and inflamed. Sigh. Hopefully, on the other end of all of this we will be more patient, appreciative of good health and consciously grateful for the amazing people around us, our family and neighbors who have been so kind to us this last week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment